Or so they say.
So, what can you do when you’re an aspiring copywriter — self-starting your career — with no marketing or business degrees? Well, seasoned copywriter and business educator Nicki Krawkzyk at Filthy Rich Writer has a big secret for you:
Stop applying for copywriting jobs. At least right now.
Krawkzyk explains how applying, interviewing, and landing a job is your end-goal, the 3rd step in a 3-step process:
- Step 1 — Train to be a copywriter. Learn to write killer copy and how to be a copywriter.
- Step 2 — Gain back-door experience to build a portfolio of work. Collaborate with hungry local designers, perhaps graphic design college students or recent grads, to create spec (mock) ads.
- Step 3 — Apply to jobs and give links and samples of your portfolio work online and in person.
These are simple enough, yeah?
So, I’m trying the steps myself. I’m on step 2 right now or at least I think so.
- part of Step 2 (again, that’s back-door experience) — I contacted a customer I had gotten to know working at Starbucks. She is a designer. I asked her if she wanted a portfolio-growing opportunity.
- another part of Step 2 — We met up, shared copy and visuals back and forth, and now we have two sweet mock ads based around Starbucks Reserve.
If this isn’t one way to do it, then I have absolutely no idea what is real. Thanks a million, Filthy Rich Writer! Your business seems to be growing, right? Definitely no surprise.
Can’t wait for step 3. I’m headed for the touchdown and not looking back! Ya’ll do the same, okay? firstname.lastname@example.org